Sheriff James E. Clemmons, Jr.
James “Clem” Clemmons, Jr. is the son of James Edward Clemmons Sr. and the late Beverly Clemmons. He is the father of one son, James Edward Clemmons III.
James was hired as a Patrol Deputy at the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office in 1989. In 1991, he was promoted to Sergeant and assigned to the Detective Division. James was promoted to Lieutenant in 1997 and promoted again in 1998 to Captain. He served as a Captain in the Sheriff’s Office until 2002. On July 7, 2002, James was promoted to the rank of Major. He has the distinction of being the first person of color to attain the rank of Major in the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office. In November of 2011, James Clemmons was elected as the Sheriff of Richmond County. He is the first person of color to be elected as Sheriff in the history of Richmond County and the third Sheriff elected in 60 years. He is the chief law enforcement executive in Richmond County.
During his thirty five-year law enforcement career, Sheriff Clemmons has served in many capacities with the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office. He has served as the Commander of the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office SRT (Special Response Team) and the Community Police Coordinator for the Town of Dobbins Heights. He has managed the operations of the Civil Division, Patrol Division, Jail and Courts.
Awards & Recognition
During his law enforcement career, Sheriff Clemmons has received the following certificates and awards:
- State of North Carolina CICP Certified Investigator
- Train-the-Trainer Instructor School for Community Policing
- Police Law Institute Training
- Advanced Special Weapons and Tactics Training
- Advanced Law Enforcement Certificate
- Inducted into Alpha Phi Sigma National Criminal Justice Honor Society, Delta Kappa Chapter
- Vice Chairman of the Richmond County Juvenile Crime Prevention Council (2008)
- 2008 Graduate of Leadership Richmond
- 2009 Recipient of the North Carolina Sheriff’s Education and Training Standards Commission Intermediate Service Award
- 2009 Recipient of the North Carolina Sheriff’s Education and Training Standards Commission Advanced Service Award
- 2010 Chairman of Leadership Richmond
- 2012 Graduate of the North Carolina Sheriff Leadership Institute
- Member of the North Carolina Sentencing Commission
- Member of the North Carolina Justice Reinvestment Commission
- North Carolina Sheriff’s Associations Legislative Committee
- Co-Chairman of the North Carolina Sheriff’s Associations Audit Committee
- Elected Third Vice-President of North Carolina Sheriff’s Association (201 to 2015)
- Elected Second Vice-President of North Carolina Sheriff’s Association (2016 to 2017)
- Elected First Vice- President of North Carolina Sheriff’s Association (2017 to 2018)
- Livingstone College Alumnus, Salisbury, North Carolina
- Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice from Mount Olive College, Mount Olive, North Carolina
- Member and Trustee of Grace Temple Fellowship Church, Wallace, South Carolina
Civic Organizations and Boards
- Member of Western Star #9 Masonic Lodge Salisbury, North Carolina
- Member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated, Lambda Iota Iota Chapter
- Member of the Richmond County Martin Luther King Celebration Committee
- Member of Greek Inc.
- Richmond County Law Enforcement Co-Chairman for North Carolina Special Olympics (1994-Present)
- Member of the Richmond County Pee Dee Youth Council
- Member of Richmond County Criminal Justice Partnership Program
- Founding Member of the Rockingham Chapter of Helping to Improve Potential (HIP)
- Richmond County Boy Scouts of America (BSA), Executive Director of Programs (2014)
- Member of the Rockingham Chapter of Civitan