SHERIFF MARK B. GULLEDGE
Mark Gulledge is the son of Ron and Cindy Gulledge of Rockingham, NC. He is married and the father of one daughter.
In 1995, at the age of 17, Mark began his public service career as a junior fireman with the Hamlet Fire Department. He pursued his EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) certification while still in high school and began working full-time as a Fire Fighter/EMT with the Hamlet Fire Department in 1998. While employed by the Hamlet Fire Department, Mark was recognized as “Fireman of the Year” in 1996 and 1997. Although he had a passion for providing services to the community through the fire department, his ultimate dream was to become a Deputy Sheriff.
In June of 1999, that dream came true when he was hired as a detention officer with the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office. In June of 2000, Mark was promoted to a Deputy Sheriff in the patrol division. In 2005, Mark was promoted to Patrol Sergeant and promoted again in the same year to Lieutenant, serving as a night shift supervisor.
During his twenty-two-year law enforcement career, Mark has served in a variety of capacities within the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office. He has served in the Richmond County Jail as a detention officer/supervisor, patrol division as a patrol deputy, dayshift and night-shift patrol supervisor, Chief Deputy Sheriff, which consisted of managing the day-to-day operations and budget for the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office and Detention Center for the last ten years until the untimely death of Sheriff James E. Clemmons Jr. in August of 2021.
In August of 2021, Mark B. Gulledge was named the Sheriff of Richmond County.
During his public safety career of 25 years, Mark has proudly served all the citizens of Richmond County, with high integrity, loyalty, and dedication.
Trainings & Certifications
During his law enforcement career, Sheriff Gulledge has received the following trainings and certifications:
- State of North Carolina BLET Certified
- State of North Carolina Detention/Jail Officer Certified
- Practical Civil Process Certified
- Intoxilyzer Certified
- Intermediate Law Enforcement and Detention Officer Certificate
- Advanced Law Enforcement and Detention Officer Certificate
- North Carolina Certified Firefighter (Level II)
- State of North Carolina EMT Certification
- North Carolina Certified Hazardous Material Responder (Operations Level)
- CSX and Amtrak Railroad Emergencies
- Domestic Violence Investigation
- Sexual Assault Investigation
- Child Death Investigation
- Field Sobriety Testing
- DWI Vehicle Seizures
- Drug Interdiction and Investigations
- Arson Detection for First Responders (National Fire Academy)
- Active Shooter and Tactical Operations
- Fundamental Evidence Collection
- Gang Identification
- Ethics Training
*Other specialized and additional courses have been attended over the last 25 years while serving the citizens of Richmond County.
- Richmond Community College Criminal Justice Advisory Committee
- Juvenile Crime Prevention Council Committee, Richmond County, North Carolina
- First United Methodist Church of Hamlet, North Carolina
- Member of Hamlet Masonic Lodge #532 A.F. & A.M.
- Member of the Sons of the American Legion Post 49, Hamlet, North Carolina